- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Marinara sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Process cauliflower in batches in a food processor until finely ground. Microwave, covered, in a microwave-safe bowl on high until tender, about 8 minutes. When cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze dry. Return to bowl.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix cheeses together. Stir half of cheese mixture into cauliflower, reserving remainder. Combine next six ingredients; stir into cauliflower.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, shape cauliflower mixture into an 11×9-in. rectangle. Bake until edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Top with reserved cheese; bake until melted and bubbly, 10-12 minutes. Cut into 12 breadsticks. If desired, serve with marinara sauce.
Test Kitchen tips
- As long as you line your pan with parchment paper, these breadsticks can be made in any shape you like. A round pizza pan works nicely as well.
- Customize to your heart’s desire by adding toppings such as pepperoni, mushrooms and olives before baking.
1 breadstick: 66 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.